Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #45 -Sixteen Candles


"What's Happenin' Hot Stuff?" I love this line and I love this movie -it's got so many great parts to it I couldn't even begin to tell you which one is my most favorite. I think this was actually the first PG rated movie I ever saw...

So, Sixteen Candles is this week's CSCC, as a tribute to it's great writer/director, the late John Hughes, who also put out many more of my favorite 80's films.

The requirement this week was to make a birthday card, with an additional challenge to use "retro 80's" colors/design.

So, while I would really want to use pink for a 16 Candles birthday card, I did a bit more of an 80's shout-out to the bright colors. I used several colors (2+ more than I would normally use) in nice bright colors, but them into a rainbow of sorts and used some direct to paper technique on the stamped part to pay homage to that popular Paint Splatter and geometric shapes that defined much of the 80's. I also added a little "surprise" inside.
This card actually reminds me of Rainbow Brite, my Mork from Ork suspenders, my favorite Vuarnet t-shirt, and Lisa Frank school supplies (rainbows, stars, unicorns, and teddy bears -oh my!). I hope it takes you back and makes you feel young again too!!


Supplies I used:

Basic Black, Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, YoYo Yellow, Pixie Pink, and Gable Green c/s
Basic Black ink
Four Square stamp set

Star Punch (large and small)

Bold Brights brads

Pink Flamingo DSP

Pop-Up Cake Die

Sticky Strip

Stampin' Dimensionals




Enjoy, and like, go like, stamp something that is like, totally awesome, 'kay?



7 comments:

  1. Love your card and cake, totally awesome,'kay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo-hooo!!! Love your card Nancy!!! And I was totally cracking up about your "What's Happenin' Hot Stuff?" quote at the beginning -- I LOVE when he says that in the movie!!! ha!!! LOVE your card and you are right - it totally brought a Mork from Ork suspenders flashback!!! I am so happy that you had fun playing and that it took you to the fun 80's place!!!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us over at Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge!! SOOO happy that you did!

    Sending you lots of happy wishes and hugs!
    Sankari :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh - and the cake is AWESOMEEEEEEE!!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stuff! Especially the Pink Flamingo DSP!!!! You know it is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Nancy, that card is so 80's (in a good way!!!). Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by -comments are appreciated!