Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year!!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and that your new year is off to a fabulous start!
We stayed close to home, as we usually do, and spent much time crafting, cooking, and just being together. Perfect!
I really did want to blog through the season...at least once anyhow, but it didn't happen. Maybe next time! LOL!
Well, I'm starting the new year off with something new and challenging for me: 2 challenges in 1card! Okay, okay, I know for some of you this is not a big deal, but it's a stretch for me, and I look forward to stretching my creativity even further this year.
So, without further ado, here is my card (a 5x7 nonetheless), for Mojo Monday #120 and  Cinema Saturday #60
I am a huge fan of Cinema Saturday, and after a holiday break the cinema girls are back -WooHoo!
With this great flick:

This is a beautifully set film, simply gorgeous, and the story is a good one too. Like many others, I had this read to me in 3rd or 4th grade, and still has me sometimes looking into the back of an old cupboard to see if there is something beyond. The requirement this time was to use iridescent sparkle, not such a challenge for me, but I had been wanting to try a technique for "Faux Frosting" from Marlize Morris, a fellow SU! demo, which uses Dazzling Diamonds glitter. My favorite scene is when Lucy comes through the wardrobe for the first time; The look of wonderment on her face, framed by the beautifully frosted branches. It reminds me of my kids, each time it snows (we don't get much of it). I tried the technique to try to capture the look of those snowy branches. The quote on the card: "The greatest gift is a portion of thyself" -Ralph Waldo Emerson, made me think of the sacrifices made by many characters in the film, among other things.
Last, but not least, I used the amazing layout from Teresa Kline at Mojo Monday:


Here is my card:


With the door open:


A closer look "through the cupboard":


I used: Autumn Days and Of the Earth sets; Always Artichoke, Soft Suede, Shimmer White, and Chocolate Chip c/s; Versamark; Always Artichoke and Chocolate Chip markers, Tombo multi glue, Gold detail and White EP, Heat tool, gold brads, Lg Neutral Brads, Sizzix Scallop Circle die, Sizzix Texturz SU! Backgrounds 1, Circle Scissors, Scallop Edge & 1/8" handheld punches, Soft Suede 5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon.

ENJOY!

7 comments:

  1. Clever idea Nancy! Got a rub-on that says "imagine"? that would be cool on the adorable door too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very clever! Love the sparkle in the hidden wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nancy that turned out fantastic! I love the door and what it opens up to. You're sooo good :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I love the sparkly snow on the pines, and I love the wood grain and gold knob on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off Nancy - I am in AWE of the fact that you guessed the movie!!! Seriously AWEstruck!!! Awesome job on that!! ANd your card is sooo awesome that you used a little pull window on the scalloped circles and I love love love what they open up to - sooo very awesome!!! You so rock!!! Thank so much for playing along with us - it wasn't like a regular Saturday without "seeing" you and all of the other cinema players. Hope you are doing great!!! Sending you big hugs!!!!
    Big hugs,
    Sankari :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the frosted branches have come out so well... it's almost a shame to cover them up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this card--what a cool idea! How did you get the wood graining on the cupboard door?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by -comments are appreciated!