Saturday, January 30, 2010

Make it Count

I am so honored to be guest designing again over at Cinema Saturday -Thank you Brooke and Sankari!!
This week's movie is Titanic with a challenge requirement of blue and silver (yay!).


I love this movie, talk about inspiration! The costumes, the sets, the music -all beautiful and amazing, not to mention the strength, the triumphs & the tragedies of the characters. So many scenes in this movie captivate me. I have been mildly obsessed with the Titanic story since I was about 10 or so, I've seen the exhibit several times in different cities, but it wasn't this that caught me for this challenge. It was a lengthy quote by Jack's character, while he was having dinner with the first class passengers when asked about his "third class lifestyle":
Jack: Well, yes, ma'am, I do... I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.
The last few lines just really clicked with me -grabbed ahold of my heart and made me run for the tissue. :)
So I wanted to make a project (not a card!) that would remind me to make each day count.
I initially had planned on putting in a picture from our family vacation on an Alaskan Cruise, but then I decided I would rather show a picture that demonstrated the "making it count".
This is a pic of DH and kids on our last day together before his deployment. It was a great day, and we made the most of our last hour together.



I altered a small clipboard that a photo could be placed in (and changed).
Here's what I used: Baroque Motifs & I {heart} Hearts set; Maine Blueberry DSP (ret.), Not Quite Navy, White Vellum, and Whisper White cardstocks; Versamark ink; Silver foil tape (OTC), Silver Detail EP, Clear EP, White Organza ribbon, glue dots; 1/2" circle, 1 3/8" circle, and Scallop circle punches.
It's now hung up where we can see and remember to make each day count. :)

If you haven't (*gasp*) seen Titanic, go grab a box of tissues, a comfy blanket, and make it count!

3 comments:

  1. NANCY....Thanks so much for being our guest designer this week you are soooo sweet. I think you totally rocked his challenge.. I love that you used the picture that you did. what a tender moment for use. I guess I didn't catch that you were all having any heartache at your house.. Sending HUGE HUGS your way...

    What an amazing use of the challenge requirements! So elegant and peaceful.. A total stunner.. Be sure to hang this project on the wall so everyone can enjoy the moment :)
    HUGS
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was so excited to see you won last weeks challenge. I knew you would :o). This weeks design is so cute, love the picture! This is one of my favorite movies, so I must try and take part this week. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Love the silver and the pretty heart!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    Hugs,
    Smita

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by -comments are appreciated!