Thursday, April 21, 2011

A little something for a veteran

So this week, over at Color Throwdown, they're mixing things up a bit. They give you 2 colors, and you choose the third -how fun is that?!?


When I picture Navy and White together, the lines are so clean and sharp, kind of like Navy Whites.
Ask me to pick a color to go with...it's got to be red *POW*  I can picture my Grandma in a Navy and White print dress wearing red pumps. Love it!
Now, I just got a new SU! Embossing folder for my Big Shot, and it's not quite available for another week and a half, but I couldn't wait to try it after getting it last night. I knew I wanted to make those poppies, Poppy Parade to put as my 3rd throwdown color.
However, getting those poppies just as I envisioned them was not working after several different techniques, I went for one last attempt. I colored directly onto the embossing folder (gasp), then embossed the paper. It didn't come out with the beautiful watercolored look I imagined, but I do like how it turned out (see the close-up photo). It's kind of got a stippled or sponged effect.
Now, the red poppies reminded me of the ones they sell on Memorial Day, which got me to thinking this would make a beautiful card to thank that special veteran in your life.

I used: Service & Sacrifice set; Night of Navy, Poppy Parade, Whisper White c/s; Night of Navy, Poppy Parade, Pear Pizzazz inks; Sizzix Big Shot Flower Garden Embossing Folder; Poppy Parade poly-twill ribbon.



1 comment:

  1. Fabulous card! I'm glad you liked the little twist to the challenge this week! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by -comments are appreciated!