Saturday, February 6, 2016

Konmari Kraziness!

At some point near the end of 2015: Hold request placed through the library for: "the life-changing magic of tidying up". I'd heard a little about it, I needed to do some organizing throughout the house (don't I always?), and hey, I like to read.
December: My cousin was telling me about her process and all of the stuff she was throwing out. Throwing out??? NO THANKS! I don't throw stuff out, and I sure as heck didn't want anything to do with this kind of magic.
I had forgotten I'd put the book on hold.
January 26th: hold notification tells me the book is ready to check-out.
January 27th: I pick up the book from the library and proceed to have a stare-down with it. Encouraged by my local Buy Nothing Group (they rock!), I open the book at bedtime...Huge mistake!
This book was speaking straight to my soul and I could not put it down! Two late nights up reading, and I was done.
January 29th: Phase 1, The Clothes. This started a whole lot easier than I thought. I'm not by nature a clothes-horse, but, by nature, I'm a big sentimental, which is why Marie Kondo (KonMari) recommends you start with clothes and work your way to Memorabilia as the last phase. For someone who is not a clothes-horse, I managed to clear out around 10 bags of clothing that had fulfilled their purpose in my life.
January 30th: Phase 2, The Books. This was quite a bit harder, and is taking a lot longer. I chalk most of this up to pulling EVERYONE'S books out.

When you are working through the KonMari process, you are supposed to only do your own things. So, I went through my actual books. Then, had the kids go through theirs. Hubby is still finishing Step 1, so his books still sit in the garage. The final part of this phase for me was magazines. Ugh. I don't subscribe to many, but over the years, they sure do accumulate. I've just finished going through them, and am getting them cleared out of the house as responsibly as I can (share or donate before recycle). Tomorrow will be my last official day of Phase 2.

February 6th: Phase 3, The Paper. I sooooooooo want to skip this, but I'm pretty sure that means that it is really important that I deal with it. I'm quite sure that we have papers (bills, receipts, etc.) from every year of our 18 year marriage. I started today. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to take a break and bust into some aspect of Phase 4 to keep my sanity. I told Hubby that by me working on the Paper Phase, it was an opportunity for him to catch-up. We'll see. That is all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by -comments are appreciated!