Sunday, October 25, 2020

Soup-er Sunday

 Fall is here and so is hearty soup season!

My family loves soup. I love quick and easy recipes that they will ALL eat. Knowing that I was going to be busy with chores, errands, a Girl Scout troop meeting, and Sunday Night Football, tonight's dinner needed to be quick, easy, and good. 

We tried this recipe for Rustic Potato Soup, from Jill Winger's Prairie Homestead Cookbook. It checked all of the boxes. I liked that I only needed  to make one substitution for household intolerance -oat milk for heavy cream. In the future, I probably would just skip that ingredient, or use cashew milk to give it a creamier texture, but it was good, regardless. 
The only garden element I was able to include in this recipe were the greens. I wasn't able to collect enough kale from the garden, so I threw in some chard along with it to make up the needed quantity -substitution #2. 😉

It also worked out really well that I just happened to finish making a pot of chicken bone and veggie broth as dinner prep started. I had cooked up a couple of whole chickens the other day (they were on sale!) and had put the meat in the freezer for quick and easy meals another day. I saved the carcasses and added veggie scraps that I save up in the freezer to make an awesome stock. Look at that color! Yum. I put the needed amount into the soup and stored another several quarts for later. If you have never tried making your own stock, I highly recommend you try. It is easy and so good for you, as you can control the ingredients including sodium and fat quantities, not to mention the nutrition from cooking the bones down. 
Voila! Delicious, hearty, and so easy to make.

There are no leftovers of this dish to speak of. 
Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting - constructive comments are appreciated!