Thursday, November 5, 2020

F is for Fall -Part 3: Flock

 I had wanted a backyard flock for about 20 years, ever since Seattle Tilth began hosting an Urban Chicken Coop tour, and something triggered inside of me, we were, after all, home owners now. Then ( few years and kids later), I bought a recommended book about raising backyard chickens while on a visit to Powell's Books in Portland. I read and enjoyed that book, but sadly, didn't pursue the dream and eventually donated the book, giving up on the idea, distracted by the "busy-ness" of a suburban stay-at-home mom with a new baby. Though I discounted the reality of having my own flock, the dream stayed, hanging out somewhere in my brain waiting for the right moment. 

Well, two and a half years ago, my oldest texts me from school, "Hey mom, so-and-so says The Grange has a deal. For every $10 you spend, you get 2 free chicks" WHAAAAAAT? *Dream Re-activated*

 Quick refresher course that evening on starter supplies needed, how to raise and care for chickens, and getting what we had on-hand set up. Then, I just had to attempt to contain the utter excitement one feels before a dream comes true throughout my work day -which fortunately is teaching 5 year olds, so they were willing to share the excitement.  Next, was meeting up with my Mom, who, in response to her oldest child's ask, "Do you want to do something crazy with me?" was: "Of course!"  Lol! My mom is great and often up for adventures like these. With my youngest kiddo, we headed out to the Grange, spent $30 in starter supplies and were offered 6 free chicks. 

Now, here's where a dilemma arose. I had only intended to bring home 4, as our city has a limit of 6, and I wanted to diversify the flock and add more chicks next season. Well, the what-ifs began to spin in my brain; Being a new chicken tender, from what I'd read, it was very likely that at least one chick wouldn't survive until maturity, "what if" the dog got one, and "what" if one was a roo, and so on. We took all offered 6, including one that had jumped out of the shopkeeper's hand and landed on the concrete floor (I felt so bad for her and wasn't sure she'd make it even though she appeared to be fine).   

Did I mention that this all happened when my husband was on a 2 week work inspection in Hawaii?? Lol, that's what happens when Mama gets left at home to her own devices. Needless to say, he knew this was a dream I had been saving, and built the girls an awesome coop and enclosure that they could move into when they had their big girl feathers.

Here we are, two and half years later, 6 original hens (no roos), no fatal illnesses, and still getting the best of the dog. I love being a Chicken Mama!


...and, the chick that jumped and hit the concrete floor? 
There she is above! That's our Jacky, after "Jumpin' Jack Flash" -my mom chose the name. 😉 Despite the flighty description given to Leghorns, she is our easiest to catch, super tolerant of being held, and our most consistent layer. Love that girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting - constructive comments are appreciated!